NHMLA is giving you two days to get up close and hands-on with all things nature in the Museum’s backyard – the Nature Gardens. Whether you’re a hiking machine or a nature newbie, L.A. Nature Fest is for you!
There’s a surprising amount of nature in L.A., and the more you know how to look for it, the more you’ll see. You’ll be blown away by the plants and animals, their incredible survival stories, the best ways to see them, and the people devoted to studying and protecting them.
• • • • TICKETS: nhm.org/naturefest • • • •
• Bird Life in Urban L.A.: Explore Expo Park with NHMLA’s bird expert, Kimball Garrett
• Snake feeding!
• Taxidermy – Tim Bovard, NHMLA Taxidermist
• Coffee roasting – Erik Knutzen + Kelly Coyne, Root Simple
• California tuna salad lunch cooking demo / History of the canning industry in San Pedro – Master Food Preserver Ernest Miller
• L.A. day hike tips – Casey Schreiner of Modern Hiker
• Native CA bees
• Wildlife-attracting plants – Carol Bornstein, NHMLA
• Storytelling puppet show
• Rat Chat: See animal keepers train and feed our 11 Norway rats in the Nature Lab
• Slug and insect painting + citizen science – NHMLA Urban Nature Research Center
• Nature crafts: Nature crowns, nature bracelets, sun prints
• Los Angeles Department of Water & Power interactive green house and water trailer
• National Park Service’s La Troca interpretive truck
• Food trucks
• Interactive booths from Museum partner organizations:
– Art of Tea
– California Native Plant Society
– Chaparral Mountain Honey Co.
– Citizens for Los Angeles Wildlife, Inc.
– Farm Fresh To You
– Green Grounds Los Angeles
– Los Angeles Mycological Society
– Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens
– Modern Hiker
– National Park Service
– UCLA La Kretz Center for California Conservation Science
– UC Riverside Library
Full schedule of activities >> bit.ly/NatureFestSched.
Tickets to #LAnaturefest available at nhm.org/naturefest.
[ L.A. Nature Fest is sponsored by the Los Angeles Department of Water & Power ]